Mahaska County is named for Chief Mahaska, who was a chief of the Ioway Native American tribe.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Keokuk County
W – Marion County
Created: February 17, 1843
Oskaloosa 1844 – present
County Courthouse – Oskaloosa
Location: 106 South 1st Street / High Avenue East
Built: 1882 – 1886
Architect: H C Koch and Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Contractor: O J King & Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Oskaloosa and has a stone foundation. The west front has a large stone arch around the first story entrance. Above rises a square brick tower which is tired having a square clock tower with spires at the top. The roof line has peaked dormers with arched windows. Stone trim horizontal bands run along the building. The building houses the County District Court of the 8A Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1843 and Oskaloosa was selected as the county seat in 1844. The first courthouse was built in 1844 to 1845. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1882 to 1886 at a cost of $132,500.
County Courthouse - Oskaloosa
Photos taken 2008