Keokuk County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Keokuk County
Keokuk

Keokuk County is named for Chief Keokuk, who was the chief of the Sac Native Americans who advocated peace with the white settlers.

 

Created:  December 21, 1837

County Seat:

Sigourney  1844 – 1848

Lancaster  1848 – 1858

Sigourney  1858 – present

 

County Courthouse – Sigourney

 

Location:  101 South Main Street / East Washington Street

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Classical  Revival

Architect:  Wetherell & Gage

Contractor:  J L Simmons

 

Description: The building faces north and is a three story light colored stone structure. The first story has horizontal stonework with a central entrance with curved pediment above. Two large columns rise to the top of the third story with a large dormer with arched window at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square stone clock tower with gold dome.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1845 at Sigourney at a cost of $218. In 1848, the second courthouse was built at Lancaster. In 1858, the third courthouse was built by Coleman & Lehman at Sigourney at a cost of $17,200. The building was enlarged in 1892. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $150,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Poweshiek County and Iowa County

E – Washington County 

S – Jefferson County and Wapello County

W – Mahaska County

 

 

 

1109i08

 
1113i08

 

 

1111i08

 

 

1116i08

 

 

1114i08

 

 

1115i08

Photos taken 2008