Hardin County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Hardin County
Hardin

Hardin County is named for John J Hardin, who was from Illinois and who was killed in the American Mexican War.

 

Created:  January 15, 1851

County Seat:

Eldora  1853 – present

 

County Courthouse – Eldora

 

Location:  1215 Edgington Avenue / Washington Street

Built:  1892 – 1893

Style:  Victorian

Architect:  W D Allen

Contractor:   J F Atkins

 

Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building has stone trim around the windows, entrances and foundation. Above the north entrance is a high clock tower with alcove at the third floor with statues. On the northwest corner is a round tower with conical roof. On the corners are large square towers with peaked roofs. The building was restored in 1968 to 1970. The architect was D Mc Keown and the contractor was R D Stewart Inc.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1856 and destroyed by fire. The second courthouse was built in 1857. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $48,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Franklin County

E – Grundy County

S – Marshall County and Story County

W – Hamilton County

 

 

 

0767i08

 

 

0769i08

 

 

0766i08

 

 

0768i08

 

 

0770i08

 

 

0773i08

 

 

0776i08

 

 

0777i08

 

 

0772i08

Photos taken 2008