Hancock County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Hancock County
Hancock

Hancock County is named for John Hancock, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1737 to 1793.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Winnebago County

E – Cerro Gordo County

S – Wright County

W – Kossuth County 

 

Created:  January 15, 1851                    Map of Iowa highlighting Hancock County

County Seat:

Concord  1856 – 1890

Garner    1890 – present

 

County Courthouse – Garner

 

Location:  855 State Street / 8th Street

Built:  1898 – 1899

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  F W Kinney

Contractor:  Gross Construction

 

Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. On the northwest corner is a three story square brick tower. The south west corner has a lower square brick tower. The front has three arches with a recessed porch at the entrance on the first story. Above the entrance are here windows and a dormer on the third story above the roof line. The base of the building is course white colored stone. The building houses the County District Court of the 2A Judicial District. The building was renovated from 1999 to 2000.

 

See:  The 2A Judicial District includes Bremer County, Butler County, Cerro Gordo County, Floyd CountyFranklin CountyMitchell CountyWinnebego County and Worth County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1851 and Concord was selected as the county seat in 1856. The first courthouse was built in 1865 at a cost of $2,000. The second courthouse was built in 1867 at a cost of $10,000. The county seat was moved to Garner in 1890. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1898 to 1899.

 

 

1387i08

County Courthouse – Garner

 

 

1389i08

 

 

1390i08

 

 

1391i08

Photos taken 2008