Hamilton County is named for William W Hamilton, who served as President of the Iowa State Senate.
Created: December 22, 1856
Webster City 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Webster City
Location: 2300 Superior Street / Fair Meadows Crescent
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: Smith-Voorhees-Jensen Associates
Contractor: Sande Construction & Supply Co., Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story brick, stone and glass structure. The upper part of the building is tan colored brick and the lower part is black stone from Georgia. The entrance on the south side is recessed into the side of the hill with a black stone wall extending south. The windows are vertical and the roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1866 at a cost of $1,934. The second courthouse was designed by Street & Baker and built by John M Rice in 1976 at a cost of $50,000.
Old County Courthouse – Webster City
Location: Superior Street / Pleasant Street
Description: The building faces north and is a two story white colored wood frame structure. The building was originally located at Bank Street and Seneca Street. Today this building has been moved to the grounds of the Wilson Brewer Historic Park. The rectangular building has a hipped roof.
N – Wright County
E – Hardin County
W – Webster County
Photos taken 2008