Guthrie County is named for Edwin B Guthrie, who was a soldier in the American-Mexican War.
Created: July 8, 1851
Panora 1851 – 1859
Guthrie Center 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Guthrie Center
Location: 200 North 5th Street / Main Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Contractor: Allied Engineering Company Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a one story portico towards the south with glass entrance. Towards the north there are vertical concrete dividers between the windows and pink colored panels between the upper and lower windows.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1859 at a cost of $2,400. The second courthouse was built in 1877 at a cost of $22,500 and burned on March 3, 1882, The third courthouse was designed by Blake & Lee and constructed by John E Motz in 1883. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $417,000.
E – Dallas County
S – Adair County
W – Audubon County
Photos taken 2008