Grundy County is named for Felix Grundy, who was a United States Attorney General and a United States Senator from Tennessee.
Created: January 15, 1851
Grundy Center 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Grundy Center
Location: 706 G Avenue / 7th Street
Built: 1891 – 1893
Architect: Kramer & Zoll
Contractor: Seeley, Son & Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story stone castle-like structure. The northeast corner has a high clock tower with peaked red roof. The north entrance has an arch with two arches on the second story. The west section projects from the building and has a stone front to the third story. The roof is sloped.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1857. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $45,532.
N – Butler County
S – Tama County
W – Hardin County
Photos taken 2008