Greene County is named for Nathanael Greene, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: January 15, 1851
Jefferson 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Jefferson
Location: 204 South Chestnut Street / East State Street
Built: 1915 – 1917
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Proudfoot, Bird and Rawson
Contractor: The Rowles Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story Bedford stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The south front has six high columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with a pediment containing a clock. The first story has horizontal stone blocks. The interior has a large rotunda with skylight and murals painted by William Peaco. During contruction the superintendent was Norman A Price. On the grounds is the Mahanay Memorial Tower which was built in 1966 and is 165 feet high with a reflecting pool. The tower contains four bells. The bells were specially made in the Netherlands for the $350,000 tower.
Note: The first court meet in the Thomas Phillips Building in Jefferson and a courthouse was built in 1856 at a cost of $1,825. The second courthouse was built at a cost of $37,000. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $200,000.
E – Boone County
W – Carroll County
Photos taken 2008