Franklin County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Franklin County
Franklin

Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.

 

Created:  January 15, 1851

County Seat:

Hampton  1854 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hampton

 

Location:  12 1st Avenue NW / Federal Street North

Built:  1890 – 1891

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:   T D Allen

Contractor:  C H King

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. A stone portico extends from the building with a large arched entrance. The base of the building is white colored course stone. White stone trim is along the windows. On the center of the roof is a high square clock tower with statue of Justice at the top.

 

Note:  The first court met at the home of Judge James B Reeve. The first courthouse was built in 1857. The court moved to a schoolhouse and the second courthouse was built by U Weeks in 1866. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $60,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Cerro Gordo County

E – Butler County

S – Hardin County

W – Wright County

 

 

 

1364i08

 

 

1367i08

 

 

1365i08

 

 

1366i08

 

 

1368i08

 

 

1369i08

 

 

1370i08

 

 

1372i08

 

 

1373i08

 

 

1374i08

Photos taken 2008