Floyd County is named for Charles Floyd, who was a sergeant in the Lewis and Clark Expedition and who died in Sioux City in 1804.
Created: January 15, 1851
Charles City 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Charles City
Location: 101 South Main Street / Gilbert Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Moderne and Art Deco
Architect: Hansen and Waggoner of Mason City
Contractor: James Thompson and Son of Ames
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and Bedford stone structure. The central section of the building projects and has vertical bands of brick separate the windows. The entrance is framed with polished red colored granite which also runs along the base. The roof line is flat. The building is a Works Project Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1861 at a cost of $18,000. The building was destroyed by fire in 1881. The second courthouse was designed by A L Collins and built by Milo Gilbert in 1881 at a cost of $17,000. An addition was constructed by Potter & Marks in 1905. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $240,000.
N – Mitchell County
E – Chickasaw County
S – Butler County
Photos taken 2008