Fayette County is named for Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette, who was a French general and politician and who fought in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 21, 1837
West Union 1837 – present
County Courthouse – West Union
Location: 114 North Vine Street / East Elm Street
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J G Ralston of Waterloo
Contractor: Tapager Construction Company of Albert Lea, Minnesota
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored Bedford limestone structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The central entrance has a projecting overhang. The main entrance doors are constructed of solid bronze. Six large columns rise from the second to third story and divide the windows. A wide band follows the roof line with clock in the center.
Note: A courthouse was built in 1874 and additions were constructed in 1894 to 1896. The building burned in 1922. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $299,000.
E – Clayton County
S – Buchanan County
Photos taken 2008