Emmet County is named for Robert Emmet, who was an Irish patriot.
Created: January 15, 1851
Estherville 1851 – 1879
Swan Lake 1879 – 1884
Estherville 1884 – present
County Courthouse – Estherville
Location: 609 1st Avenue North / North 6th Street
Built: 1957 – 1958
Architect: James A Dougher
Contractor: Lundquist Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. There is a concrete portico at the south entrance. The south front has vertical concrete dividers with green panels between the windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1859 in Estherville and was destroyed by fire in 1876. The second courthouse was designed by Foster & Liebbe and constructed by Zerbe Brothers in 1884 at a cost of $11,718. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $374,110.
E – Kossuth County
S – Palo Alto County
W – Dickinson County
Photos taken 2008