Dallas County is named for George M Dallas, who was Vice President of the United States of America under James K Polk.
Created: January 13, 1846
Adel 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Adel
Location: 801 Court Street / North 8th Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: French Chateau
Architect: Proudfoot and Bird of Des Moines
Contractor: James Rowson and Son
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored Bedford stone structure. The east and west sections project and have red roofed turrets on each corner. The recessed center section has an arched entrance on the first story and rises to a third story balcony with the Goddess of Justice at the top of the fourth story dormer. In the center of the building is a high square clock tower with small cupola at the top.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1848 and the second courthouse was built in 1853. In 1853, the third courthouse was built at a cost of $20,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $109,243.
E – Polk County
S – Madison County
W – Guthrie County
Photos taken 2008