Crawford County is named for William Harris Crawford, who was a presidential candidate as well as United States Secretary of the Treasury and Secretary of War.
Created: January 15, 1851
Denison 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Denison
Location: 1202 Broadway Street / South 12th Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: George A Berlinghof of Beatrice, Nebraska
Contractor: Marxen & Rokahr of Avoca
Description: The building faces south and is a three story Ohio marble structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a high portico at the central entrance with four tall columns rising from the second to third story supporting a pediment at the roof line. There are porticos on the north and south sides with four columns on each. The north and south wings project from the main building. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1859 and a frame addition was added in 1871 and in 1881. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $115,000. The courthouse when constructed had a dome which was removed in 1946.
See: The architect, George A Berlinghof of Beatrice, designed courthouses in Nebraska in Colfax County, Franklin County, Greeley County, Howard County, Kearney County, Lincoln County, Nemaha County, Seward County and Thayer County.
See: The contractor, Marxen & Rokahr of Avoca, Iowa, also constructed the courthouse in Nebraska in Seward County.
E – Carroll County
W – Monona County
Photos taken 2008