Clay County is named for Henry Clay Jr., who was a Colonel who died in action in the Mexican-American War and who was the son of Henry Clay, a famous American.
Created: January 18, 1851
Peterson 1851 – 1871
Spencer 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Spencer
Location: 215 West 4th Street / 2nd Avenue West
Built: 1900 – 1901
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Kinney & Detweiler of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contractor: E Miller
Description: The building faces south and is a two story Portage Entry Red Stone structure. The front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof with an American Eagle with outstretched wings surrounded by a laurel wreath. A dark red stone forms the base of the building. On the center of the roof is a large bronze dome. The clock tower was added in 1910. The building was renovated in 1981 to 1982. The architect was Fritzel-Kroeger-Griffin & Berg and the contractor was Spencer Construction Company Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Peterson at a cost of $6,900 in 1851. The second courthouse was built in Spencer in 1871 at a cost of $1,333. And soon the third courthouse was built at a cost of $4,435. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $60,000.
County Administration – Spencer
Location: 300 West 4th Street / 3rd Avenue West
Built: 1980 – 1901
Architect: Fritzel-Kroeger-Griffin & Berg
Contractor: Sioux Contractors Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story gray-red colored brick structure. The roof line is flat.
N – Dickinson County
E – Palo Alto County
W – O’Brien County
Photos taken 2008 and 2010