Chickasaw County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Chickasaw County
Chickasaw

Chickasaw County is named for the Chickasaw Native American tribe whose Chief was Bradford.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Howard County

E – Winneshiek County and Fayette County

S – Bremer County

W – Floyd County

 

Created:  January 15, 1851                    Map of Iowa highlighting Chickasaw County

County Seat:

Bradford           1854 – 1857

New Hampton  1857 – present

 

County Courthouse – New Hampton

 

Location:  8 East Prospect Street / North Chestnut Avenue

Built:  1929 – 1930

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Ralston & Ralston of Waterloo

Contractor:  Tapager Construction Company of Albert Lea, Minnesota

 

Description: The building faces south and  is a three story gray Bedford limestone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of New Hampton. The central entrance has a projecting overhang. The first story has horizontal stonework with a projecting ridge above. The roof line is flat and has a wide band of limestone. In the interior there is a central atrium which rises to a skylight at the top of the third story. There is an ornate fireplace and stain glass window on the stair well. The County District Court courtroom is located along the east side of the third story. There is a small courtroom at the northwest corner of the third story. The building houses the County District Court of the 1B Judicial District. During construction, the superintendent was George Metcalf.

 

See :  The architect J G Ralston of Waterloo and the contractor Tapager Construction Company of Albert Lea, Minnesota also designed and constructed the courthouse in Fayette County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Chickasaw County Courthouse

 

See:  The 1B Judicial District includes Black Hawk County, Buchanan CountyFayette CountyGrundy County and Howard County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1851 and Bradford was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log structure built in Bradford in 1854. In 1857, the county seat was moved to New Hampton. The second courthouse was a small frame structure built in New Hampton in 1865. The building enlarged in 1876 and was destroyed by fire on March 26, 1880. The third courthouse was a brick and stone structure designed and built by Louis Brown in 1881 at a cost of $10,500. Additions were added in 1905 and 1906 designed by Harry E Netcott. The building burned in 1928. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1929 to 1930 at a cost of $134,000.

 

 

1864mc08

County Courthouse – New Hampton

 

 

1865mc08

 

 

646m23

 

 

647m23

 

 

648m23

 

 

652m23

 

 

655m23

 

 

1869mc08

 

 

660m23

 

 

661m23

 

 

662m23

 

 

663m23
  

 

664m23

 

 

666m23

 

 

668m23

County District Court courtroom

 

 

669m23

 

 

670m23

 

 

673m23

 

 

674m23

 

 

672m23

 

 

653m23

 

 

657m23

County District Court small courtroom

 

 

659m23

 

 

1867mc08

 

 

1868mc08

 

 

649m23

Photos taken 2008 and 2023