Cerro Gordo County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Cerro Gordo County
0216NC10

Cerro Gordo County is named for the battle of Cerro Gordo during the Mexican-American War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Worth County

E – Mitchell County and Floyd County

S – Franklin County

W – Hancock County

 

Created:  January 15, 1851                    Map of Iowa highlighting Cerro Gordo County

County Seat:

Mason   City  1855 – 1856

Livonia           1856 – 1858

Mason City    1858 – present

 

County Courthouse – Mason City

 

Location:  220 North Washington Avenue / 3rd Street NW

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Mason City. Light colored stone frames the east entrance. White colored finished concrete faces the east front with a stone frame. A bell tower stands separately at the southeast corner.  The roof line is flat. The building was previously the Standard Oil Building. The building houses the County District Court of the 2A Judicial District. The building was renovated in 1941. The County acquired and renovated the building in 1959 to 1960. The architect was Liebenberg & Kaplan Architects and Engineers. The building was expanded in 1977 and 1978. The architect was Associated Engineers. 

 

See:  The 2A Judicial District includes Bremer County, Butler County, Floyd CountyFranklin CountyHancock CountyMitchell CountyWinnebego County and Worth County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1851 and Mason City was selected as the county seat in 1855. The county seat was moved to Livonia in 1856 and the first courthouse was built in 1856. The county seat was moved back to Mason City in 1858. The second courthouse was a two story structure built in 1866. The third courthouse was a three story structure designed by William Rush and Bowman & Company and constructed by Northern Building Company in 1902 at a cost 0f $64,000. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937 and purchased in 1959 at a cost of $159,400.

 

  

0217nc10

County Courthouse – Mason City

 

 

0218nc10

 

 

0219nc10

 

 

1428i08

 

 

0220nc10

                       

 

1429i08

 

 

1431i08

Photos taken 2008 and 2010