Calhoun County is named for John C Calhoun, who was the seventh Vice President of the United States of America.
Created: January 15, 1851
Lake City 1856 – 1877
Rockwell City 1877 – present
County Courthouse – Rockwell City
Location: 416 4th Street / Main Street
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: W F Gernandt
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story cream colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The front has a high portico supported by four tall columns with pediment containing a crest. The entrance has a small pediment above. The north and south wings project from the main building. The roof is red colored clay tiles. During construction, the superintendent was W E McClure.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1856 in Lake City. The second courthouse was built 1877 in Rockwell City and was destroyed by fire in 1884. The third courthouse was designed and built by Post & Burson in 1886. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $116,200.
E – Webster County
W – Sac County
Photos taken 2008