Butler County is named for William Butler, who was a general and an unsuccessful candidate for Vice President of the United States.
Created: January 15, 1851
Allison 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Allison
Location: 428 6th Street / Locust Street
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: Cervett-Weber & Associates of Marshalltown
Contractor: Ramker Construction & Supply Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story dark red colored brick structure. The center section has vertical pillars with large glass windows. On the east and west sides, the building projects and then recesses along the south and north sides. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1881 at a cost of $7.000. An addition was constructed in 1903 at a cost of $5,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $940,000.
N – Floyd County
S – Grundy County
W – Franklin County
Photos taken 2008