Bremer County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Bremer County
Bremer

Bremer County is named for Frederika Bremer, who was a Swedish traveler, poet and author.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Chickasaw County

E – Fayette County

S – Black Hawk County

W – Butler County

 

Created:  January 15, 1851                    Map of Iowa highlighting Bremer County

County Seat:

Waverly  1854 – present

 

County Courthouse – Waverly

 

Location:  415 East Bremer Avenue / 4th Street NE

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  Mortimer B Cleveland of Waterloo

Contractor:  Rebholz & Drape Construction Company of Tripoli

 

Description: The building faces south and is a three story pressed buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Waverly. The foundation is clad in Kasota Stone, a tan-colored limestone quarried near Mankato, Minnesota sometimes referred to as Mankato Stone. The central section has vertical stone divided by buff colored brick. The east and west sections are lower at two stories. There is dark stone framing the first story entrance. The roof line is flat. The front entrance vestibule has two-tone terrazzo floors (light and dark gray) with polished tan-colored stone for the tall wainscoting set on a black colored marble baseboard. Smooth plaster finishes the walls above the wainscoting and on the ceiling. The central staircase is located midway along the north wall of the central corridor opposite the front entrance. The courtroom is located on the south side of the third story and is lined with white colored oak veneer paneling, and has a stepped lintel across the front, and fluted pilasters at the sides. The judge’s bench, witness stand, and reporter’s desk continue to be located at the west end of the room with the jury box in the original recessed opening on the right or north side. The interior walls of the courtroom have a smooth finish plaster on the upper sections with white colored oak veneered wainscoting topped by a black colored painted chair rail. The building was remodeled in 2001 to 2002. The architect was InVision Architecture of Waterloo.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Bremer County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1851 and Waverly was selected as the county seat in 1854. The first courthouse was frame structure built in 1854. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1857 to 1858 at a cost of $23,000. In 1870, a fire proof annex was constructed. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937 at a cost of $135,000.

 

 

1347i08

County Courthouse – Waverly

 

 

1348i08

 

 

x_2

 

 

1350i08

 

 

1351i08

Photos taken 2008