Black Hawk County is named for Black Hawk, who was chief of the Fox and Sac Native American tribes and who was a leader in the Black Hawk War.
Created: February 17, 1843
Cedar Falls 1844 – 1855
Waterloo 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Waterloo
Location: 316 East 5th Street / Mulberry Street
Built: 1962 – 1964
Architect: Toenjes-Stenson and Warm
Contractor: John G Miller Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a four story glass, steel, polished stone and concrete structure. The west entrance has a brown colored polished stone section rising above the roof line. There are vertical brown colored polished stone sections around the building. The windows are horizontal with polished stone between the floors.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1855 at a cost of $27,000. The building was razed in 1907. The second courthouse was designed by Fremont D Orff and built by C E Atkinson in 1902.
N – Bremer County
E – Buchanan County
Photos taken 2008