Appanoose County is named for the chief of the Sac and Fox Indian tribes who headed the peace party during the Black Hawk War, and the word means “a Chief when a child”.
Created: January 13, 1843
Centerville 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Centerville
Location: 201 North 12th Street / West Jackson Street
Built: 1903 – 1904
Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revival and Romanesque
Architect: Smith & Gage
Contractor: W M Peatman
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored Bedford stone veneer structure. The south front has an octagonal stone tower on either side of the recessed entrance which is framed with stone. On the second story above the entrance is a large arched window. There is a third story dormer on the green colored title roof. On the roof center is a square stone clock tower with green colored peaked roof. During construction, the superintendent was G W Salisbury.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1848 at a cost of $160. In 1858, court was held in the Methodist and Presbyterian churches. The second courthouse was built by Cullen & Pearson in 1864 at a cost of $23,000.
N – Monroe County
E – Davis County
W – Wayne County
Photos taken 2008