White County

US States / H-L / Indiana / White County
White

White County is named for Isaac White, who was a Colonel in the Illinois militia and who was killed at the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Jasper County and Pulaski County

E – Cass County and Carroll County

S – Tippecanoe County

W – Benton County and Jasper County

Created:  February 1, 1834                                                        Map of Indiana highlighting White County

County Seat: 

Monticello  1834 – present

 

County Courthouse – Monticello  

 

Location:  110 North Main Street / West Broadway

Built:  1975 – 1976

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Longardner & Associates Inc. of Indianapolis

Contractor:  Black Casteel Construction Corporation of South Bend

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story dark red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Monticello. The building has short wings projecting from the main building. Wide white colored concrete horizontal and vertical dividers separate the three stories.

 

History:  Monticello was named as the county seat in 1834. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1937 at a cost of $800. A small office building was erected in 1845. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built by George Brown in 1848 to 1851 at a cost of $8,000. The third courthouse was a limestone structure designed by LaBelle & French and constructed in 1894 to 1895 at a cost of $100,000. The building was destroyed by a tornado in 1974. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1975 to 1976 at a cost of $2,400,000.

 

 

0518i-i08

County Courthouse – Monticello

 

 

0519i-i08

 

 

0520i-i08

 

 

0522i-i08

 

 

0523i-i08

Photos taken 2008