Wells County is named for William A. Wells, who was captured by Native Americans as a young boy and became a scout for Anthony Wayne.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Allen County
E – Adams County
Created: February 7, 1835
Bluffton 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Bluffton
Location: 102 West Market Street / South Main Street
Built: 1889 – 1891
Architect: George W Bunting of Indianapolis
Contractor: Christian Boseker of Fort Wayne.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored stone structure. The central entrance has five stone arches at the first story. On the northeast corner is a five story stone tower with clock. The west section of the building extends north from the main building. The junction of the wall with the ground plane is further emphasized by the course of rock-faced white colored limestone at the base of the walls; above this the brick walls are faced entirely with a veneer of buff-colored Michigan Stoney Point sandstone. The woodwork used in the halls and throughout the building is made of wide sections of golden oak. The circuit court room occupies the west wing of the third story, and is the most elaborate of the interior spaces. The window enframements are capped with foliated capitals carved in deep relief. The twenty-four foot height of the walls is visually reduced, by the use of a marble wainscote identical to that found in the halls, and a plaster cornice whose location ten feet beneath the ceiling separates the windows from the semi-circular lights directly above them. The bench is situated at the center of the south end of the room, with the area directly before the bench separated from the rows of spectator benches by a low oak rail with stout round spindles and massive square posts which are topped by round globed gaslights.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Wells County Courthouse
History: The county seat was established at Bluffton in 1837. The first court met at the home of R C Bennett in 1837. The first courthouse was a two story log structure built by David Whitman in 1840 at a cost of $193. The second courthouse was a Greek Revival structure designed by George W Webster and built in 1845 at a cost of $5,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1889 to 1891 at a cost of $140,000.
County Courthouse - Bluffton
Photos taken 2008