Warren County is named for Joseph Warren, who was a doctor killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill in 1775.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Benton County
Created: January 19, 1827
Warrenton 1828 – 1829
Williamsport 1829 – present
County Courthouse – Williamsport
Location: 125 North Monroe Street / East 2nd Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Italian Renaissance Revival
Architect: J W Royer of Urbana, Illinois
Contractor: Frank Jahn of Champaign, Illinois and L N Cope of Decatur, Illinois
Description: The building faces north and is a two story stone, brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Williamsport. The north front extends from the main building and the entrance is framed with limestone and has an iron balcony on the second story. The base of the building is horizontal stone. A protruding cornice runs along the roof line with a stone balustrade above. On the center of the roof is a round dome with red roof. The courtroom on the second story is largest interior space and has fitted furnishings and notable globed lighting fixtures on ceiling, walls, and judge’s desktop. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 11th Judicial District.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Warren County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1827 and Warrenton was designated as the county seat in 1828. The first courthouse was a log house owned by Enoch Farmer. The county seat was moved to Williamsport in 1829 and the second courthouse was a log house owned by William Harrison. The third courthouse was a brick structure built by E W Jones and Seth Flowers in 1832 to 1833. The third courthouse was a brick structure built by Hays and Evans at a cost of $48,400 in 1871 to 1872. The courthouse was torn down and the fourth courthouse was built in 1886. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on January 20, 1907. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1907 to 1908 at a cost of $115,000.
County Courthouse - Williamsport
Photos taken 2008