Vermillion County is named for the Vermilion River which flows through the county, and “vermilion” is the color of the red bluffs along the river, and the spelling has an extra “l” to distinguish it from the Illinois county that it adjoins.
Created: January 2, 1824
Newport 1824 – present
County Courthouse – Newport
Location: 225 South Main Street / Market Street
Built: 1923 – 1925
Architect: John F Bayard of Vincennes and Halbert L Fillinger of Dana
Contractor: John N Good of Columbus.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east entrance is framed with stone and recessed. Four half columns divide recessed windows on the second and third stories. Above the roof line on each side of the building is a clock.
N – Warren County
S – Vigo County
Photos taken 2008