Tipton County is named for John Tipton, who was a soldier in the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811 and who served as United States Senator for Indiana from 1831 to 1839.
Created: January 15, 1844
Tipton ( Canton ) 1844 – present
County Courthouse – Tipton
Location: 101 East Jefferson Street / Court Street
Built: 1893– 1894
Style: Romanesque Classical Revival
Architect: Adolph Scherrer
Contractor: Pierce and Morgan of Indianapolis
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored sandstone structure. The entrance is in the center of the north side and is trimmed with stone. On the northwest corner is a seven story square stone clock tower rising 206 feet with steep roof. On the northeast corner is a small tower with steep roof.
N – Howard County
S – Hamilton County
Photos taken 2008