Shelby County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Shelby County
Shelby

Shelby County is named for Isaac Shelby, who was the first Governor of Kentucky and who defeated the British at the Battle of Kings Mountain during the Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hancock County

E – Rush County and Decatur County

S – Decatur County and Bartholomew County

W – Johnson County and Marion County

 

Created:  December 31, 1821                                                    Map of Indiana highlighting Shelby County

County Seat: 

Shelbyville  1822 – present

 

County Courthouse – Shelbyville  

 

Location:  407 South Harrison Street / Polk Street

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  D A Bohlen and Son

Contractor:  Service Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story grey colored limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Shelbyville. The north and south sections project slightly from the main building. The east front has long vertical windows. The center section has wide vertical dividers with three entrance doorways on the first story. The interior has a grand staircase. The courtroom on the second story has plaster walls and crown moldings. The building was renovated in 2002. The architect was The Oldle McGuire & Shook Corporation and the contractor was the Summit Construction Company Inc.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Randolph County Courthouse

 

County Criminal Justice Center – Shelbyville  

 

1052i-i08

 

Location:  105 West Taylor Street / Elm Street

Built:  1993 – 1994

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Woolpert Consultants and The Voinovich Group

Contractor:  Dunlap and Company Inc. and Vincent B Greiner Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Shelbyville to the southwest of the courthouse.. The northeast corner has an entrance on the first story with large canopy supported by thin columns. The square windows are small. A white colored band runs below the flat roof line.

 

History:  Marion served as the temporary county seat and the first court met at the home of David Fisher. Shelbyville became the county seat in 1822. The court met at the homes of Benjamin Williams and Hiram Alldredge.  The first courthouse was a brick structure designed by John E Baker and built by William Bushfield and Arthur Major from 1825 to 1830 at a cost of $2,240. The third courthouse was designed and built by Edwin May in 1852 at a cost of $27,000. The building was remodeled in 1878 at a cost of $31,000. The architect was R P Daggett and the contractor was Osborne, Carlisle & Jones. The Fourth courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937 at a cost of $250,000. The County Criminal Justice Center was constructed in 1993 to 1994.

 

 

1042i-i08

County Courthouse – Shelbyville

 

 

1043i-i08

 

 

1044i-i08

 

 

1048i-i08

 

 

1045i-i08

 

 

1046i-i08

 

 

1047i-i08

 

 

1051i-i08

County Criminal Justice Center – Shelbyville

 

 

1053i-i08

Photos taken 2008