Pulaski County is named for Casimir Pulaski, who was a Revolutionary War soldier killed at the Battle of Savannah, and who lived from 1746 to 1779.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Starke County,
E – Fulton County
S – Cass County and White County
W – Jasper County
Created: February 7, 1835
Winamac 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Winamac
Location: 112 East Main Street / North Market Street
Built: 1894 – 1895
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: A William Rush & Edwin A Rush of Grand Rapids, Michigan
Contractor: Jordan E Gibson of Lockport
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Winamac. The building has a raised basement. The north front is recessed with an arch at the entrance and three arched windows on the second story with a peak above. On the east and west are square brick towers with an arch on the first story and three high narrow vertical windows on the second story and above are peaked roofs. In the building center rises a large square brick tower with narrow vertical windows and with clocks and parapets at the roofline with a steep roof at the top. In the interior, the vestibules and corridors, all walls are plaster with oak tongue and groove oak wainscotting and a chair rail of oak plank with raised edge. There is a grand staircase. The courtroom is located on the third story and has a coved plaster ceiling. The ceiling is divided into thirds by two paneled ribs that terminate on the walls in ornamental plaster pendants. A penciled wainscot surrounds the room as does a picture rail. Art Deco style lights hang from the ceiling. There is a gallery installed in 1979. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 3rd Judicial District. On the south side is the County Justice Center.
See: The architect, A William and Edwin A Rush of Grand Rapids, Michigan designed courthouses in Fulton County and Rush County.
County Justice Center – Winamac
Location: 110 East Meridian Street / Market Street
Built: 1994 – 1996
Architect: RQAW Corporation
Contractor: Calumet Construction Corporation Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Winamac on the south side of the courthouse. The first story is faced with cream colored stone, At the north entrance, the stone extends up to the roof peak. The second story is recessed. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Superior Court of the 3rd Judicial District.
See: The 3rd Judicial District includes LaPorte County and Starke County.
History: The county seat was confirmed as Winamac in 1839. The first court met in the home of John Pearson. The first courthouse was a hewed log structure erected in 1839. The second courthouse was the school house built in 1843. The third courthouse was built by Rudolph Hoch in 1847 to 1849 at a cost of $948, The fourth courthouse was a brick structure built by Matthew McBride in 1859 to 1862 at a cost of $12,000. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1894 to 1895 at a cost of $50,000. The County Justice Center was constructed in 1994 to 1996.
County Courthouse – Winamac
Photos taken 2006