Posey County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Posey County
Posey

Posey County is named for Thomas Posey, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War and who was a Governor of the Indiana Territory.

 

Surrounding Couny Courthouses: 

N – Wabash County, Illinois and Gibson County

E – Vanderburgh County

S – Henderson County, Kentucky and Union County, Kentucky

W – Gallatin County, Illinois and White County, Illinois

 

Created:  September 7, 1814                                                     Map of Indiana highlighting Posey County

County Seat: 

Blackford          1815 – 1817

Springfield        1817 – 1825

Mount Vernon   1825 – present

 

County Courthouse – Mount Vernon

 

Location:  300 Main Street / Walnut Street

Built:  1874 – 1876

Style:  County Capitol / Italianate

Architect:  J A Vrydagh and Levi Clark of Evansville and Terre Haute

Contractor:  John McMannomy of Covington.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Mount Vernon. The center section on the west side is recessed with a balcony above the first story entrance. On the north and south, the sections extend from the main building and rise to peaked roofs. On the center of the roof is a square white colored dome with gold colored roof. The building was renovated in 1961. The court room, on the second story, is the most dramatic space of the interior. This two story room is elliptical in plan with a balcony level on three sides supported by cast iron columns. The ceiling is coved and has plaster coffering. All the benches and railings of the courtroom were purchased in 1893. These permanent furnishings are Eastlake in style and are built of quarter-sawn white oak. The interior of the courtroom was restored and redecorated in 1974. 

  

History:  The first county seat was Blackford in 1814. The first court met at the home of Absaloby Duckworth in 1815 and the first courthouse was a log structure erected by Jacob Winemillerm in May 1815 at a cost of $115. In 1817, the county seat was moved to Springfield and the second courthouse was built by Frederick Rapp at a cost of $4,500. The building was later used as a school. In 1825 the county seat moved to Mount Vernon and the third courthouse was a brick structure built in 1826 by Jesse Welborn with log jail. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1874 to 1876 at a cost of $74,400.

 

 

Note:  The lowest point in Indiana is the Ohio River at 320 feet ( 80 meters ) which is located in the county. 

 

 

1528i-i08

County Courthouse – Mount Vernon

 

 

1529i-i08

 

 

1530i-i08

 

 

1531i-i08

 

 

1533i-i08

Photos taken 2008