Perry County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Perry County
0543K07

Perry County is named for Oliver Hazard Perry, who was a Commodore in the United States navy and who defeated the British in the decisive Battle of Lake Erie in 1813.

 

Created:  September 7, 1814

County Seat: 

Troy            1814 – 1818

Rome         1818 – 1859

Cannelton  1859 – 1994

Tell City      1994 – present

 

County Courthouse – Tell City

 

Location:  12219 Payne Street / 22nd Street

Built:  1992 – 1994

Style:  Modern

Architect:   Andrew Churchill of United Consulting Engineers & Architects of Indianapolis

Contractor:  Arc Construction Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The central section is an octagonal structure with white colored cupola. The main north entrance has four large columns supporting a peaked roof. Inside is a large open rotunda. On the east and west are large wings which extend north with white colored trim.

 

Old County Courthouse – Cannelton

 

0532k07

 

Location:   7th Street / Taylor Street

Built:  1896 – 1897

Style:  French Renaissance

Architect:  John Bacon Hutchings of Louisville, Kentucky

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story yellow colored pressed brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is trimmed with Bedford limestone and has a massive sandstone foundation. The southwest front has a small one story portico supported by four columns rising to a balcony on the second story. There are east and west wings. The roof line is flat.

 

Note:  The cost of construction of the third courthouse was $30,000 which amount was raised by the citizens of Cannelton. The sandstone was quarried from the nearby hills. The building is now the Perry County Museum.

 

Old County Courthouse – Rome

 

1322k18

 

Location:   East Rome Road / South Rome Road

Built:  1818 – 1819

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is located in the old Town Square on spacious landscaped grounds. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal cupola with steep roof. The roof is hipped.

 

Note:  The old courthouse is the oldest standing courthouse in Indiana. The building ceased to be the courthouse in 1859.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Dubois County and Crawford County

E – Crawford County , Meade County, Kentucky and Breckinridge County, Kentucky

S – Breckinridge County, Kentucky and Hancock County, Kentucky

W – Spencer County and Dubois County

 

 

 

1329k18

County Courthouse

 

 

1331k18

 

 

1332k18

 

 

0540k07

 

 

0541k07

 

 

0542k07

 

 

1337k18

 

 

0545k07

 

 

1339k18

 

 

1340k18

 

 

1341k18

 

 

1342k18

 

 

1343k18

 

 

0544k07

 

 

0531k07

Old County Courthouse – Cannelton

 

 

1346k18

 

 

1348k18

 

 

1350k18

 

 

1351k18

 

 

x_1

 

 

0534k07

 

 

1319k18

Old County Courthouse – Rome

 

 

1324k18

 

 

1324k18

 

 

1323k18

 

 

1326k18

 

 

1328k18

Photos taken 2007 and 2018