Parke County is named for Benjamin Parke, who was the commander of a troop of light Dragoons at the Battle of Tippecanoe and he was a delegate of the Indiana Territory to the United States Congress.
Created: January 9, 1821
Roseville 1821 – 1822
Armiesburg 1822 – 1824
Rockville 1824 – present
County Courthouse – Rockville
Location: 116 West High Street / South Jefferson Street
Built: 1879 – 1882
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Thomas J Tolan & Brentwood Tolan of Fort Wayne
Contractor: W H Myers of Fort Wayne
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The center section on the north and south sides has a portico with three arches on the first story and balcony above. Two columns rise to a small pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a high dome with clock and small cupola at the top. The building was renovated in 2001 to 2002.
Note: The previous courthouse was built by Matthew & Stewart in 1832.
Photos taken 2008