Newton County is named for John Newton, who was a sergeant who served under General Francis Marion in the Revolutionary War.
Created: February 7, 1835
Kentland 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Kentland
Location: 210 North 3rd Street / East Graham Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Architect: Joseph T Hutton of Hammond
Contractor: Eric Lund of Hammond
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick rectangular structure. White colored stone headers are above each window. There is a red colored title roof which slopes to each corner. The west front entrance has a small pediment over the entrance on the first story. The building was remodeled and the west front was added.
N – Lake County
E – Jasper County
S – Benton County
Photos taken 2008 and 2011