Montgomery County is named for Richard Montgomery, who was a military general killed at the Battle of Quebec, and who lived from 1736 to 1775.
Created: December 21, 1822
Crawfordsville 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Crawfordsville
Location: 100 East Main Street / Washington Street
Built: 1875 – 1876
Style: Second Empire
Architect: George W Bunting of Indianapolis
Contractor: McCormack & Sweeney of Columbus
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The front portico has four columns rising from the second story to the pediment at the roof line. The north and south wings project slightly from the main building. Above the pediment is a large square where the tower was formerly located. The building was renovated in 1941. The building was further renovated in 1986. The architect and contractor was H Stewart Kline & Associates, Inc. of Lafayette.
Photos taken 2008