Miami County is named for the Miami Native American tribe who resided in the area.
Created: February 2, 1832
Miamisport 1832 – 1834
Peru 1834 – present
County Courthouse – Peru
Location: 25 North Broadway / East Main Street
Built: 1908 – 1910
Architect: Lehman & Schmitt of Cleveland, Ohio
Contractor: P H McCormack & Company of Columbus.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story buff colored stone structure. The central portico has four large columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. Above is a pediment with clock and rising above the roof line. The second story windows are arched. A protruding cornice runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large low dome with skylight.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Issac Hodgson and constructed by Nathan Crawford in 1858.
N – Fulton County
S – Howard County
Photos taken 2008