Martin County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Martin County
Martin

Martin County is named for John T Martin, who was from Newport, Kentucky

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Greene County

E – Lawrence County and Orange County

S – Dubois County

W – Davies County

 

Created:  January 17, 1820                                                        Map of Indiana highlighting Martin County

County Seat:

Hindostan                             1820 – 1828

Mount Pleasant                    1828 – 1844

Memphis                              1844

Harrisonville                         1844 – 1845

Hillsborough ( Dover Hill )    1845 – 1869

West Shoals                         1869 – 2004

Shoals                                  2004 – present

 

County Courthouse – Shoals

 

Location:  111 Main Street / 2nd Street

Built:  1981 – 1982

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Midwestern Engineers, Inc. of  Loogootee

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Shoals. The east front has a central entrance with a concrete frame and is located on the second story. The building is set into the side of slope with an entrance on the west side of the first story. The roof line is flat. The building was constructed for the Old National Bank and sold to the County in 1999.

 

Old County Courthouse – West Shoals

 

2369wv12

 

Location:  220 Capital Avenue / Maple Street

Built:  1875 – 1876

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  William George

Contractor:  Travis Carter and Benjamin Carter of Seymour

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story white-gray colored brick, stucco and wood structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of West Shoals. The south front has an arched entrance on the first story with a small balcony above on the second story. The second story windows are arched. A limestone stringcourse continues around the entire building and visually separates the first and second stories. At the front of the roof is a large square cupola which rises in tiers to a dome at the top. The building has a shallow-pitched gable roof and has a sandstone foundation The building now houses the Martin County Historical Museum.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Martin County Courthouse

 

History:  The first county seat was Hindostan in 1820. The countyseat was moved to Mount Pleasant in 1828. The first courthouse was a brick structure erected in 1829. The county seat was moved to Halberts Bluff, Memphis and West Shoals and then to Harrisonville in 1844. The county seat was moved to Hillsborough and Dover Hill in 1845. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1846. The county seat was moved to West Shoals in 1869. The third courthouse was built in 1871 at a cost of $29,000 but was destroyed by fire. The fourth courthouse was built in 1876 to 1877 at a cost of $8,588 and is still standing. The fifth and present courthouse is a converted bank building in Shoals.

 

 

1277i-i08

County Courthouse – Shoals

 

 

1279i-i08

 

 

2362wv12

 

 

2364wv12

 

 

2365wv12

Old County Courthouse – West Shoals

 

 

2366wv12

 

 

2367wv12

 

 

2368wv12

 

 

2373wv12

Photos taken 2008 and 2012