Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.
Created: December 31, 1821
Indianapolis 1822 – present
County Courthouse – Indianapolis
Location: 200 East Washington Street / North Delaware Street
Built: 1960 – 1962
Style: Modern Skyscrapper
Architect: Allied Architects & Engineers of Indianapolis
Contractor: Huber, Hunt & Nichols, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a twenty-eightstory concrete, steel and glass rectangular structure. The north entrance has a large over hang. The windows are horizontal bands at each story. On the west side is a six story building with vertical dividers between the windows. The building houses the offices of the City of Indianapolis.
Note: The first courthouse was designed and built by John E Baker and James Paxton. The previous courthouse was designed by Issac M Hodgson and constructed in 1877.
See: The Indiana Supreme Court is located in Indianapolis.
W – Hendricks County
Photos taken 2008