Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.
Created: January 4, 1823
Pendleton 1823 – 1827
Anderson 1827 – present
County Courthouse – Anderson
Location: 16 East 9th Street / Meridian Street
Built: 1972 – 1973
Architect: Johnson, Richhart Associates
Contractor: Solitt Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a four story glass, concrete and red colored brick structure. The first and second stories are recessed on the south side with brick pillars supporting the projecting upper stories. Glass walls cover the third and fourth stories. Square red colored brick towers rise at the center of each side. The building is named as the Madison County Government Center. The building was remodeled in 1983.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by George Bunting and constructed by McCormack & Sweeney in 1882.
N – Grant County
S – Hancock County
Photos taken 2008