LaPorte County is named for the French word meaning “the door” or “the port”.
Created: April 1, 1831
LaPorte 1832 – present
County Courthouse – LaPorte
Location: 813 West Lincolnway / Michigan Avenue
Built: 1892 – 1894
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Brentwood S Tolan of Fort Wayne
Contractor: Charles A Moses of Chicago, Illinois.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story Lake Superior Red Sandstone structure. The building projects from the main section on each side with the projections rising to separate peaked roofs. On the center of the roof is a large square clock tower with open arch and green peaked roof. The building has a 270 piece skylight, gilded friezes and at least 45 gargoyle faces throughout. On the north side is the three story concrete Courthouse Annex constructed in 2004. The architect was DLZ Indiana, LLC and the contractor was Larson-Danielson Construction Company, Inc.
Note: The courthouse in Michigan City was designed by Mahurin & Mahurin and constructed by William Stillwell in 1909.
N – Lake Michigan and Berrien County, Michigan
S – Starke County
W – Porter County
Photos taken 2008