Johnson County is named for John Johnson, who was a judge of the Indiana Supreme Court.
Created: December 31, 1822
Franklin 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Franklin
Location: 5 East Jefferson Street / Main Street
Built: 1879 – 1881
Style: Victorian Eclectic
Architect: George W Bunting of Indianapolis
Contractor: Farman & Pearce of Indianapolis
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has two columns on the first story at the entrance rising to a wide header at the top of the first story. Above is a recessed window and a pediment above. The base of the building is course stone. Stone adorns the corners and runs horizontally between the first and second stories. There is a wide cornice along the roof line. On the centre of the roof is a square clock tower with peaked roof. The building was renovated in 1983. The architect was R W Clinton & Associates Inc. of Richmond and the contractor was Construction Control Corp of Fort Wayne.
Note: The courthouse is similar to the courthouse in Gibson County.
County Annex – Franklin
Location: 86 Court Street / Jefferson Street
Built: 1982 – 1983
Architect: R W Clinton & Associates Inc. of Richmond
Contractor: Construction Control Corp of Fort Wayne
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The roof line is flat.
County Annex North – Franklin
Location: 18 West Jefferson Street / Court Street
Built: 1995 – 1996
Architect: The Partenheimer Group
Contractor: The Sillman Corporation
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete rectangular structure. The roof line is flat.
N – Marion County
E – Shelby County
W – Morgan County
Photos taken 2008