Huntington County is named for Samuel Huntington, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation, and who was President of the Continental Congress.
Created: February 2, 1832
Huntington 1832 – present
County Courthouse – Huntington
Location: 211 North Jefferson Street / Court Street
Built: 1904 – 1906
Architect: John W Gaddis of Vincennes
Contractor: P H McCormack & Company of Columbus.
Description: The building faces west and is a four story buff colored stone structure. There is a narrow portico on each side with high arches rising from the first story to the top of the second story, balcony on the third story and eight columns rising from the third story to the top of the fourth story. Above are pediments with clocks. On the center of the roof is a large round dome with black colored roof and small white colored cupola at the top.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by William McGrew and David Silvers in 1856.
N – Whitley County
W – Wabash County
Photos taken 2008 and 2011