Henry County is named for Patrick Henry, who was a Governor of Virgin.
Created: December 31, 1821
New Castle 1822 – present
County Courthouse – New Castle
Location: 101 South Main Street / Broad Street
Built: 1865 – 1869
Architect: Isaac Hodgson of Indianapolis
Contractor: Henry County workmen
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The east front has a three story clock tower with steep roof and platform at the top. On the front is a niche with a large Statue of Justice. A wide cornice follows the flat roof line with two small peaked roofs. An addition was added in 1905 to 1906. The contractor was Patrick H McCormack.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $120,000. An addition in 1905 cost $44,000.
County Justice Center – New Castle
Location: 1215 Race Street / South Main Street
Built: 2000 – 2001
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the south side of the courthouse. The north front has a recessed central entrance with two columns. On the third story is a large arched window with peaked roof above.
N – Delaware County
Photos taken 2008