Hancock County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Hancock County
Hancock

Hancock County is named for John Hancock, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1737 to 1793.

 

Created:  January 26,1827

County Seat: 

Greenfield  1828 – present

 

County Courthouse – Greenfield  

 

Location:  9 East Main Street / South State Street

Built:  1896 – 1897

Style:  Romanesque Revival and Tudor Gothic Revival

Architect:  Wing & Mahurin of Fort Wayne

Contractor:  Geake, Henry & Greene of Fort Wayne.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story buff colored stone structure. The center section is recessed with a large stone arch framing the entrance on the first story. On the center of the roof is a high square clock tower with turrets and steep red colored roof at the top.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Greenfield  

 

1074i-i08

 

Location:  111 American Legion Place / East South Street

Built:  2002 – 2004

Style:  Modern

Architect:  DLZ Indiana, LLC

Contractor:  MacDougall Pierce Construction Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a semicircular portico supported by four columns with balcony on the second story. The roof line is flat.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Hamilton County and Madison County

E – Henry County and Rush County

S – Shelby County

W – Marion County

 

 

 

1062i-i08

 

 

1060i-i08

 

 

1061i-i08

 

 

1069i-i08

 

 

1070i-i08

 

 

1064i-i08

 

 

1065i-i08

 

 

1067i-i08

 

 

1063i-i08

 

 

1076i-i08

Photos taken 2008