Grant County is named for Samuel Grant and Moses Grant, who were both Captains from Kentucky.
Created: February 10, 1831
Marion 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Marion
Location: 101 East 4th Street / South Adams Street
Architect: Elijah E Myers of Philadelphia
Contractor: Hinsdale-Dovie Granite Company and W D Richardson
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The north and south porticos have three arches on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. Above are pediments. The east and west center sections project from the main building. The dome was removed in 1943.
See: The architect, Elijah E Myers of Philadelphia, also designed the now demolished courthouse in Seneca County, Ohio and in Illinois in Knox County and McDonough County and in Ohio in Lorain County.
Photos taken 2008