Fulton County is named for Robert Fulton, who was the inventor of the first successful steamboat, and who lived from 1765 to 1815.
Created: February 7, 1835
Rochester 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Rochester
Location: 815 Main Street / East 8th Street
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: A William and Edwin A Rush of Grand Rapids, Michigan
Contractor: Jordan E Gibson of Logansport.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story light gray colored stone structure. The west front has a large arch at the entrance with three arched windows above and stone turrets on either side of the center section. There are four peaks with a central stone tower rising from the centre of the building featuring a clock and steep red colored roof. The building was renovated in 2001 to 2002. The architect was Schmidt Associates Inc. of Indianapolis and the contractor was H G Christman Construction Company of South Bend. On the south side of the building is the County Office Building.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Joseph Miles and built by Henry Kent in 1847.
N – Marshall County
W – Pulaski County
Photos taken 2006 and 2011