Fountain County is named for James Fontaine, who was a Kentucky Major killed at Harmar’s Defeat during the Northwest Indian War in 1790.
Created: December 20, 1825
Covington 1826 – present
County Courthouse – Covington
Location: 301 4th Street / Washington Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Louis L Johnson and Walter Scholer of Lafayette
Contractor: Jacobson Brothers of Chicago, Illinois.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored stone structure. The east entrance has three rectangular stone framed entrances. The first story is horizontal stonework with vertical dividers on the second and third stories with recessed windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Issac Hodgson and constructed by John H Thomas in 1861.
N – Warren County
S – Parke County
Photos taken 2008