Dubois County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Dubois County
Dubois

Dubois County is named for Toussant Dubois, who was a Frenchman and merchant living in Vincennes, and who fought in the American Revolutionary War, the Battle of Tippecanoe and the War of 1812.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Davies County and Martin County

E – Orange County and Crawford County

S – Perry CountySpencer County and Warrick County

W – Warrick County and Pike County

 

Created:  December 20, 1817                                                    Map of Indiana highlighting Dubois County

County Seat:

Portersville   1818 – 1830

Jasper          1830 – present

 

County Courthouse – Jasper

 

Location:  1 Courthouse Square / 6th Street

Built:  1909 – 1911

Style:  Classic Revival style

Architect:  Frank Pierce Milburn of Milburn, Heister & Company of Washington, D.C.

Contractor:  William F Stillwell of Lafayette

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Jasper. On each side of the building is a large portico with four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a tall square clock tower with gold colored dome. The base of the building is course stone. The west-central portion of the building houses the courtroom. The large tripartite round arched windows visible on the west elevation light this room, which retains the original judge’s bench and floor mounted swiveling juror’s chairs Paneling and carpeting were installed in the historic courtroom and new courtroom. Typical doors in the new courtroom are flush birch doors and modern casings. The original pressed metal ceiling is in place behind the suspended ceiling in the newer courtroom. The building was renovated in 1996.

 

See:  The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Dubois County Courthouse

.

History:  The county was created in 1817. The first county seat was Portersville in 1818 and the first courthouse was a two story log structure built by John Niblack in 1818, The county seat was moved to Jasper in 1830 and the second courthouse was a log structure built by Jasper residents. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1939. The third courthouse was constructed by Father Joseph Kondeck in 1844 to 1847. At a cost of $6,773. An addition was constructed by E A Hochgesang at a cost of $3,685. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1909 to 1911 at a cost of $62,179.

 

 

1262i-i08

County Courthouse – Jasper

 

 

1264i-i08

 

 

1265i-i08

 

 

1268i-i08

 

 

1266i-i08

Photos taken 2008