Delaware County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Delaware County
Delaware

Delaware County is named for the Delaware Native American people.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Grant County and Blackford County

E – Jay County and Randolph County

S – Henry County

W – Madison County

 

Created:  January 26, 1827                                                        Map of Indiana highlighting Delaware County

County Seat: 

Muncie  1827 – present

 

County Courthouse – Muncie  

 

Location:  100 West Main Street / North Walnut Street

Built:  1966 – 1968

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hamilton, Graham Associates and George W Cox of Muncie

Contractor:  F A Wilheim

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story white colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Muncie and is an “L” shape with plaza on the east side. The first story is raised on concrete pillars on the east side. The east wing is raised on pillars with the main entrance underneath. The windows are narrow and vertical. A wide concrete band follows the flat roof line. The ‘Indian’, ‘Industry’, and ‘Agriculture’ statues were removed from the 1887 courthouse and now stand at the west side of the building.

 

County Justice Center – Muncie  

 

0434i-i08

 

Location:  100 West Washington Street / North Walnut Street

Built:  1988 – 1992

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Graham, Love & Graham /  J Robert Taylor

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Muncie on the north side of the courthouse. The building is triangular in shape with a plaza on the southeast side. The roof line is flat.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was 63,000,000. The original architects, Graham, Love & Graham were replaced by J Robert Taylor. There were many cost overruns and the contractor went bankrupt.

 

History:  Muncie became the county seat in 1827. The first courthouse was a frame structure built in 1829. The second courthouse was built by Morgan John in 1837. The third courthouse was designed by Brentwood Tolan and constructed by Charles Pearce & Company in 1887. The building was razed in 1966 and the courthouses in Kosciusko County and Parke County are of similar design.  The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1966 to 1969. The County Justice Center was constructed in 1988 to 1992.

 

 

0429i-i08

County Courthouse – Muncie

 

 

0431i-i08

 

 

0432i-i08

 

 

0435i-i08

County Justice Center – Muncie

 

 

0436i-i08

Photos taken 2005 and 2008