Daviess County is named for Joseph Hamilton Daviess, who was the United States District Attorney for Kentucky and who was killed at the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811.
Created: December 23, 1816
Washington ( Liverpool ) 1817 – present
County Courthouse – Washington
Location: 200 East Walnut Street / NE 2nd Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Architect: Sutton & Routt of Vincennes
Contractor: English Brothers of Champaign, Illinois
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The south front has a long porch with six large columns rising to a wide header containing a clock. There are three recessed entrance doors. A cornice runs below the roof line. The building was remodeled after a fire in 1986. The architect was Donovan & Donovan Associates, Inc. of Vincennes.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by George W Bunting and constructed by McCormick & Sweeney in 1879. The building was destroyed by fire in 1927.
N – Greene County
E – Martin County
W – Knox County
Photos taken 2008