Crawford County is named for William H. Crawford, who was the United States Treasury Secretary in 1818 or for William Crawford, who was a soldier in the French and Indian War and American Revolutionary War.
Created: January 29, 1818
Mount Sterling 1818 – 1822
Fredonia 1822 – 1843
Leavenworth 1843 – 1894
English 1894 – present
County Judicial Complex – English
Location: 715 Judicial Plaza Drive / State Road 64
Built: 2003 – 2004
Architect: Schenkel Shultz
Contractor: The Krempp Lumber Company and J E Skekell.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The low building forms a “V” at the north side with the large entrance arch in the center. The windows are small. The roof line is flat.
County Courthouse – English
Location: South Court Street / West Sawmill Road
Built: 1957 – 1958
Architect: Lester W Routt & Associates
Contractor: Meriwether & Bauman.
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces east and was completed in 1958. The east front has a central entrance section with gray colored stone and peaked roof. The roof is hipped.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Allan D Thom in Fredonia in 1822. The second courthouse was designed by Oliver W Marble and constructed in English in 1895.
E – Harrison County
Photos taken 2008